Monday, September 13, 2010

Selamat Hari Raya!

I hope it's not too late to wish everyone a Selamat Hari Raya! Raya celebrations are throughout the whole month anyway..hehe.

Hope everyone had a great, fun, joyous and mouth stuffing raya! I celebrated mine with in-laws here in KL and I must say this year, KL turned into
a cowboy town due to the long weekend hols. But good thing Lan's family and relatives were all based here in KL so celebrations went on as usual and it felt like every bit like raya.

Mum and dad left for Johor last Thursday and only returned on Sunday. So I celebrated with them on Monday. By the time they got back to KL, they were pretty tired from all the raya-ing back in JB, my mum's hometown. So for them, it was quite a relief to come home to KL.

This year raya felt a bit different though. You see, me and my husband - we're raya grinches. In fact, Lan has turned into a raya scrooge as well..haha. Those who know me, are accustomed to my feelings and thoughts about raya. To me, I love it because it's another holiday and it's a celebration to mark the end of a whole month of fasting, but at the same time it gets quite tiring sitting around the house the whole day entertaining relatives or going from house to house meeting relatives. And seeing that holidays are quite precious for me, sad to say, it's a part that I kind of loathe. I know, I know, I shouldn't feel this way. I can't help it :(

But like I said, this year felt a teeny bit different. On raya eve night, I actually had this sudden urge to play bunga api. For some reason I reminisced about the good old days when we were young and all cousins would gather around and play 'bung
a api' and all sorts of illegal mercun or small fireworks on raya eve..hehe. Then I realised kids nowadays in the city hardly do that anymore. My little niece who I think would enjoy it, has probably never experienced it before. They just stayed in, watch TV and went to bed - on raya eve! So boring.

So yeah, that's when I thought maybe I've started to soften up a bit to the thought of really celebrating raya, maybe because it's so different from the old days or maybe because I've outgrown the novelty and maybeeee also because I
don't have kids of my own yet. But I truly did feel the raya spirit (just a tad bit!) and did not moan and groan too much compared to last year. haha. Anyway, I know it's a bit too soon, but here's to hoping I won't turn into a raya grinch again next year! Hehe Selamat Hari Raya!


Here's to a month long of lontong, rendang, ketupat, laksa and lemang! I owe the girls at RedRibbon Days a taste of raya food. Haha. Sorry girls, since last Friday, food ration has run out. Gotta wait for the next batch this weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment